If you are connected to the world of internet there is higher possibility that you might know about IP address. Even if you have any doubt over what is IP address, how does IP address work? Then this article is for you. This article will solve all the queries regarding IP address in detail.
Table of contents:
- What is IP address?
- Versions of IP address,
- Types of IP address,
- Class of IP address.
- How can I find my IP address?
What is IP address?
IP address is a set of numbers which works as digital numbers. IP address helps in recognizing devices that are connected to computer network. IP address means for Internet Protocol address. IP address helps to communicate and helps in data transfer among the devices.
When you opened this article which you’re reading right now, your router already knew your IP address and was clear about where to send your request. The request was sent to the server of infosays.com and the server helped in reaching this page to your computer. Lastly, browser displayed this page on your computer screen.
Version of IP address:
There are two versions of IP address:
- Total length of IP version 4 is 32 bits.
- There are 4 octets in IP version 4and the length of each octets is 8 bits.
- Range of IPv4 is from 0 to 225.
- IPv4 is capable of generating 4 billion (232 )
- It is made up of only numbers separated by dots(.).
- Example: 192.168.10.26
- Total length of IPv6 is 128 bits.
- There are 8 octets in IPv6 and length of each octets in 16 bits.
- Range of IPv6 is from 0 to FFFF(65535)
- IPv6 is capable of generating 340 trillion (2128 ) IP addresses.
- It is made up of hexadecimal value and numbers separated by columns (:).
- Example: 2409:2452:4e06:44e0:cf7:3048:fb21:206d
Types of IP address:
There are two types of IP addresses:
It is used for private purposes private IP addresses cannot be tracked and they can’t be restricted. It is mostly used in internal network and is non-internet.
It is used to connect to internet around the globe. It can be accessed directly all over the internet. If you have a website, you will keep it public so that people will visit there and you can generate income. Public IP is provided by Internet service provider (ISP).
There are two types of public IP addresses:
Static: It stays the same over time the assigned address doesn’t change
Dynamic: It’s the IP address that is temporarily assigned by the ISP and changes over time
Classes of IP address:
There are five types of classes of IP address
- Class A: First octet of Class A ranges from 0 to 126. It is used for big size networks.
- Class B: First octet of Class B ranges from 128 to 191. It is used for medium size networks.